Re: Fixing appcache: a proposal to get us started

> Your manifest file should be dynamically generated by your server, based
on what you know about the user's browser.
> Now you have one single manifest file which is easier for updates, +
server-side language comments so documentation is easy.
> The web is server + client sides. Trying to "fix" issues you have with
client technologies only (appcache, JavaScript, ...) will always be a bad
choice.

I would contest this point as now you're suggesting that the "right" thing
to do is to force everyone to maintain custom browser detection libraries
on their servers again in order to guess what the browser's capabilities
are.  As we know from much experience with this technique already, it is
brittle and must be constantly monitored and updated as new browser
versions are released.  Why not attempt to give the browser-side manifest
functionality the ability to "feature test" for file support instead? Then
the browsers can be the trusted source instead of everyone having to create
new divergent browser file support inference hacks.

Sincerely,
    James Greene