Splitting Stream into InputStream and OutputStream (was Re: CfC: publish WD of Streams API; deadline Nov 3)

Hi François

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 6:16 AM, François REMY <
francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:

> - Streams should exist in at least two fashions: InputStream and
> OutputStream. Both of them serve different purposes and, while some stream
> may actually be both, this remains an exceptional behavior worth being
> noted. Finally, a "Stream" is not equal to a InMemoryStream as the
> constructor may seem to indicate. A stream is a much lower-level concept,
> which may actually have nothing to do with InMemory operations.

Yes. I initially thought it'll be clearer to split in/out interface. E.g. a
Stream obtained from XHR to receive a response should not be writable. It's
reasonable to make network-to-Stream transfer happen in background
asynchronously to JavaScript, and then it doesn't make much sense to keep
it writable from JavaScript.

It has a unified IDL now but I'm designing write side and read side
independently. We could decouple it into two separate IDLs? concepts? if it
make sense. Stream would inherit from both and provides a constructor.