Re: Regarding: Making the W3C Web SQL Database Specification Active

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 8:05 PM, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 4:23 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>>
>> 2. *Two* independent, production quality, database implementations
>> being willing to implement exactly that SQL dialect. Not a subset of
>> it, and not a superset of it.
>
> This is an overstatement.  It's not required that there be two
> implementations of something that are exactly the same, match the spec
> exactly, with no experimental features, no unimplemented features and no
> known bugs.  That's not how development of features on the Web works.

I didn't say "no bugs", I said "not a subset".

But yes, additional features could definitely be exist within reason.
Though the intent should be that those features are going to be added
to the standard. And it needs to be clear that those features are
extensions, for example through the use of prefixes or by only
enabling them when opted into by the user.

I think there is reason to be extra conservative about allowing
deviations from the standard here. SQL has a horrible record of
interoperability. So someone needs to show that interoperability can
actually be accomplished.

/ Jonas