Re: when will serializing a document throw?

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 14:01:36 +0200, Hallvord Steen <hsteen@mozilla.com>
wrote:

> If a document is passed to send(), the spec says "re-throw any
> exception" the serializing throws. There is a test that attempts to test
> this statement:
>
> http://w3c-test.org/web-platform-tests/master/XMLHttpRequest/send-entity-body-document-bogus.htm
>
> It passes a completely empty document without even a document element to
> send(). No implementation throws.
>
> Is the incomplete spec attemt on
> http://domparsing.spec.whatwg.org/#concept-serialize-xml the best
> reference we have at the moment? Even the statement I found there about
> serializing comments that do not match the comment syntax seems not to
> match reality - Gecko serialized a document containing '<html><!--
> invalid comment ---></html> just fine.

I think the reason here is that what the spec says is the right thing, and
there probably isn't a Web compat reason not to do the right thing, but
browsers haven't considered this to be high priority to fix.

Maybe we could remove the throwing from the spec, but it seems kind of sad
to not catch this in the serializer.

> Does anyone have examples of documents that should and actually DO throw
> when serialized? Or should we just drop that test and leave that spec
> statement untested?

Why would you drop the test?

--
Simon Pieters