Re: Making selectors first-class citizens

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> If they didn't support down-level browsers at all, then they're
> >> already broken for a lot of users, so making them broken for a few
> >> more shouldn't be a huge deal. ^_^
> >
> > This seems like a cop out if there is an easy way to avoid breaking them.
> > Just leaving the prefixed ones there goes a long way, but I think we've
> > shown that some libs and uses either happened before the decision to
> switch
> > to .matches so they forward estimated that it would be .matchesSelector
> and,
> > people used them (or maybe they've used them before the lib was updated
> > even).  It seems really easy to unprefix matchesSelector, and say "see
> > matches, it's an alias" and prevent breakage.  If I'm alone on that, I'm
> not
> > going to keep beating it to death, it just seems easily forward
> friendly.  I
> > know I've gotten calls for some mom and pop type project where I guessed
> > wrong on early standards in my younger days and, well - it sucks.  I'd
> > rather not put anyone else through that pain unnecessarily if there is a
> > simple fix.  Maybe I am wrong about the level of simplicity, but - it
> seems
> > really bikesheddy anyway.
>
> Aliasing cruft is *often* very simple to add; that's not the point.
> It's *cruft*, and unnecessary at that.  Aliasing is sometimes a good
> idea, if you have a well-supported bad name and there's a really good
> alternate name you want to use which is way more consistent, etc.
> This isn't the case here - you're suggesting we add an alias for a
> term that *doesn't even exist on the platform yet*.

I feel like you are taking it to mean that I am advocating aliasing
everywhere for everything where that is not simply not my intent.  I am
saying in this one very particular case because of the timing of things it
seems like it would be a good idea to alias and be done with it.

> There are
> literally zero scripts which depend on the name "matchesSelector",
> because it's never worked anywhere.  They might depend on the prefixed
> variants, but that's a separate issue to deal with.

I think Francois shared a github search with shows almost 15,500 uses
expecting matchesSelector.  I think we all agree these should work just
fine as long as prefixes remain - but that's the point... With that many,
why worry about when someone wrote their code or unprefixing or lots more
emails.  Seems an acceptable amount of cruft to me in this case.  Having