Re: Making selectors first-class citizens

On Sep 16, 2013 3:46 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 12:03 PM, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > I think the responses/questions are getting confused.  I'm not sure
about
> > others, but my position is actually not that complicated:  This feature
has
> > been out there and interoperable for quite a while - it is prefixed
> > everywhere and called matchesSelector.
>
> No, it's called *MatchesSelector, where * is various vendor prefixes.

Yeah, that is more accurately what I intended to convey - the delta being
the selector part.

> > Some potentially significant group
> > of people assumed that when it was unprefixed it would be called
"matches"
> > and others "matchesSelector".
>
> Regardless of what they assumed, there's presumably a case to handle
> older browsers that don't support it at all.  If the scripts guessed
> wrongly about what the unprefixed name would be, then they'll fall
> into this case anyway, which should be okay.

Yes, as long as prefixes stay around, and we don't change repurpose
.matches for another use  that's true.  I thought someone suggested the
later earlier in the thread(s) have to go back and look.

> If they didn't support down-level browsers at all, then they're
> already broken for a lot of users, so making them broken for a few
> more shouldn't be a huge deal. ^_^

This seems like a cop out if there is an easy way to avoid breaking them.
 Just leaving the prefixed ones there goes a long way, but I think we've
shown that some libs and uses either happened before the decision to switch
to .matches so they forward estimated that it would be .matchesSelector
and, people used them (or maybe they've used them before the lib was
updated even).  It seems really easy to unprefix matchesSelector, and say
"see matches, it's an alias" and prevent breakage.  If I'm alone on that,
I'm not going to keep beating it to death, it just seems easily forward
friendly.  I know I've gotten calls for some mom and pop type project where
I guessed wrong on early standards in my younger days and, well - it sucks.
 I'd rather not put anyone else through that pain unnecessarily if there is
a simple fix.  Maybe I am wrong about the level of simplicity, but - it
seems really bikesheddy anyway.