Re: Making selectors first-class citizens

On Sep 11, 2013, at 11:54 AM, Francois Remy <remy@adobe.com> wrote:

> For the record, I'm equally concerned about renaming `matchesSelector` into `matches`.
>
> A lot of code now rely on a prefixed or unprefixed version of `matchesSelector` as this has shipped in an interoperable fashion in all browsers now.

Which browser ships matchesSelector unprefixed?
Neither Chrome, Firefox, nor Safari ship matchesSelector unprefixed.

On Sep 13, 2013, at 1:12 PM, Francois Remy <remy@adobe.com> wrote:

>>> A lot of code now rely on a prefixed or unprefixed version of
>>> `matchesSelector` as this has shipped in an interoperable fashion in all
>>> browsers now.
>>
>> Unprefixed?
>
> Yeah. Future-proofing of existing code, mostly:
>

> https://github.com/search?q=matchesSelector+msMatchesSelector&type=Code&ref
> =searchresults

That’s just broken code.  One cannot speculatively rely on unprefixed DOM functions until they’re actually spec’ed and shiped.
I have no sympathy or patience to maintain the backward compatibility with the code that has never worked.

Furthermore, the existing code will continue to work with the prefixed versions since we’re not suggesting to drop the prefixed versions.

- R. Niwa