Re: Selectors: name find method and find signature

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
> If we are going to return an Array subclass as the new way to
> represent a collection of Element objects, we cannot use the name find
> as it is already used by Array. select and selectAll would be better
> names.

We decided on query()/queryAll() as select() is already found on <input>.

http://dom.spec.whatwg.org/ now includes these methods as well as the
new Elements return value. I still need to coordinate with Tab about
the appropriate hooks in Selectors. I will do that separately on a
www-style thread.

Feedback welcome.

(This also obsoletes Selectors API Level 1/2.)

> In http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20130807 Domenic and I also
> discussed the signature of the find method. If we're going to return
> an Array subclass that has the find method on it, why we do need the
> second argument? Especially if you can create your own instances of
> that Array subclass (and you will) it does not seem necessary at all.

Discussing this further, including with Lachy, it turns out we all
agree that is not needed.
http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20130912 has the relevant
discussion if you're interested.

--