Re: [webcomponents]: The Shadow Cat in the Hat Edition

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 6:54 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 1:32 AM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com> wrote:
>>> To calm the brave guinea people down, I showed them a magic trick. Out
>>> of my sleeve, I pulled out two new combinators: A hat (^) and a cat
>>> (^^).
>>
>> The syntax here certainly looks interesting. However how are we
>> planning on supporting things like styling built-in form controls? It
>> would be very nice to enable styling the dropdown of a <select> using
>> the same CSS selector whether the <select> has been implemented using
>> C++, a built-in WebComponent or a library-supplied WebComponent.
>
> This is a great point and something I attempted to argue for at the
> recent Shadow DOM styling meeting. However, dbaron@ basically said
> that we shouldn't conflate native controls styling with shadow DOM
> (http://www.w3.org/2013/06/21-webapps-minutes.html, search for "native
> anonymous content"), and then other folks chimed in agreeing with this
> position, so I let that go.
>
> The "::part" is already a compromise in this regard, since it does not
> explain how the magic behind things like ::placeholder.

But that breaks the ability to treat a <select> like a <select>, no
matter if it has a WebComponent attached to it or not :(

That's one of the big points of WebComponents. That you can treat it
as a single element, even though there's a whole pile of elements and
JS backing it up.

/ Jonas