Re: File API: File's name property

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 4:46 PM, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> All constructing a File does is give a name (and date) to a Blob.  It
> doesn't create an association to an on-disk file, and shouldn't be
> restricted to filenames the local platform's filesystem can represent.

Yes, but it can be submitted to a server so it has to be transformed
at some point. It seems way better to do the transformation early so
what you see in client-side JavaScript is similar to what you'd see in
Node.js.

>> Given that the URL parser treats them identically, we should treat
>> them identically everywhere else too.
>
> URL parsing does lots of weird things that shouldn't be spread to the rest
> of the platform.  File.name and URL parsing are completely different things,
> and filenames on non-Windows systems can contain backslashes.

All the more reason to do something with it to prevent down-level bugs.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/