Re: FileSystem API

Hi Eric, Arun, Jonas, All,

On 8/19/13 7:44 PM, ext Eric U wrote:
> OK, I just finished making my way through the public-script-coord
> thread [I'm not on that list, but someone pointed me to it].  I have
> no official objections to you editing a spec based on Jonas's
> proposal, but I do have a couple of questions:
>
> 1) Why is this on public-script-coord instead of public-webapps?

I think Jonas' reply on this question covers the rationale. (I
[incorrectly] assumed everyone in WebApps is subscribed to p-s-c so I'll
try to clarify our lists' usage when people join the group.)

> 2) Is any vendor other than Mozilla actually interested in this
> proposal?  When it was brought up on public-webapps, and at the
> WebApps F2F, it dropped with a resounding thud.
>
> Given the standardization failure of the Chrome FileSystem API, this
> could be a massive waste of time.  Or it could just be a way for
> Mozilla to document its filesystem API, since we've already got
> documentation of the Chrome API, but then you don't need to drag
> public-script-coord into that.

These are good questions and points. I don't feel real strongly here re
our next steps other than I think we should try to get consensus on a
high-level plan to help set expectations accordingly.

It seems we have a few options, some are not necessarily mutually
exclusive ...

1. Leave Eric's specs in WD state

2. Move Eric's specs to LC->CR (feature set should probably be
restricted/limited to what is already implemented in Chrome); block in
CR until there are two or more implementations

3. Move Eric's specs to WG Notes and stop work (as was done with Web SQL
Database)

4. Merge the two proposals

5. Formally start work on Mozilla proposal knowing there is some overlap
with Eric's specs

6. Other options?

It appears the current proposal/plan is #1 plus #5 which is effectively
the `Darwinism` plan. Is this correct?

-ArtB