Re: Clipboard API: Default content in copy/cut handlers

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 12:56 AM, Paul Libbrecht <paul@hoplahup.net> wrote:
> Is there any reason to justify the requirement to populate before the dragstart?

My guess is that it's a convenience for authors to be able to modify
the content from the default easily.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 5:22 AM, Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen
<hallvord@opera.com> wrote:
> Regarding the question: I'm not sure what exactly you're asking for with
> "something similar" and what effect it would have. Is it about reading from
> clipboard (for example, since you mention  DnD of files, like reading pasted
> file references in a paste event)? Writing to the clipboard? Is there any
> change the clipboard spec should make to make pasting files/folders easier
> to implement? If yes, how and why?

My original idea is that prior to dispatching a copy/cut event, run
"if there is a selection, place the contents of the selection in the
data store", then dispatch the copy/cut event.

If the copy/cut event is not cancelled, then:
- Write the data store to the clipboard.

If the copy/cut event is cancelled:
- Do nothing. The data store is discarded and the changes are not
written to the clipboard.

Unfortunately, this is completely opposite of how it's handled today
by Firefox/Chrome/Safari so I don't think we can do this. Oh well.

Daniel