Re: [screen-orient] why not provide at CSSOM API to CSS Device Adaptation instead?

On Thursday, July 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Mounir Lamouri wrote:
> On 24/04/13 11:13, Tobie Langel wrote:
> > While some of the original use cases required dynamically modifying orientation lock (e.g. the Game within a game experience[5]), key use cases simply require a declarative, page-wide setting, as described by David Bruant on the WHAT WG mailing list[6].
>
> (First, I am so sorry for the huge delay...)

Np. Thanks for getting back to me on this. :)
> I think we should not use CSS Device Adaptation to set the orientation.
> I am actually not sure how well CSS would handle media queries to have
> rules based on the orientation and setting the orientation from CSS.
> Wouldn't we risk to end up in an infinite loop?

Seems this is handled in section 7 of the spec[a]. Honestly, I don't have enough background in this area to assess how well.
> In addition, with the current work of having manifest files applying to
> regular web pages [1], we can hope that web pages that want to have a
> specific orientation could simply use a manifest file. I think using a
> manifest could be a good solution for that kind of use cases [2].

I don't really have an opinion here, except I'd love to see implementors converge on a solution and implement it. :)
> This said, how do you expect the orientation to work when set
> declaratively? Should the declaration be set as soon as authorised (on
> Firefox Android, that means being fullscreen [3])? It might provide an
> odd user experience. An alternative would be to only fulfil the
> declarative orientation if the page is allowed to set it at load time.

If authorization is required, I'd imagine the app would be launched fullscreen with a modal dialog / overlay requiring user authorization. If denied the browser would fallback the regular display mode (with chrome).

Best,

--tobie
---
[a]: http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-device-adapt/#media-queries