Re: File API: why is there same-origin restriction on blob URLs?

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 05:55:59 +0000
To: Arun Ranganathan <arun@mozilla.com>
Cc: jonas <jonas@sicking.cc>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Yehuda Katz <wycats@gmail.com>
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 8:16 PM, Arun Ranganathan <arun@mozilla.com> wrote:
> They're very different than data URLs.  What's a good use case for making them cross-origin, that isn't addressed by use of postMessage?

Well, the question we started with was why they're restricted to same
origin. That does not appear to be answered yet.

As for a use case, you could have a widget that does something given a
URL. E.g. put Googly eyes on the image resource. This widget could be
embedded anywhere and all you'd need to do is postMessage() it a URL.
Requiring a special code path for URLs generated from a Blob seems
annoying for both the consumer of the widget and the producer of it.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/