Re: Fixing appcache: a proposal to get us started

One feature I'd like to see is respect for compression headers. I've got an
app which results in a 30Mb app cache, but it's only 8Mb over the wire due
to GZIP compression. I'd much prefer the appcache to see that the content
was served compressed, cache it compressed, and "serve" it to the browser
offline compressed too.

Whilst not strictly part of a JS API, it would probably be a worthwhile
"note to implementors" that the preferred behaviour is to store and "cache"
with the same compression headers with which the content was originally
served.

Another approach would be to modify the appcache manifest with a "compress"
property per item to cache, or perhaps transparently compress the entire
appcache for a given manifest within the browser (totally transparent to
the user/developer/API).

Either way, it'd be nice to prevent the scenario of downloading 8Mb content
and resulting in a 30Mb cache.