Re: window.event and Event.srcElement

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 19:47:45 +0000
To: Dave Methvin <dave.methvin@gmail.com>
Cc: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, David Bruant <bruant.d@gmail.com>, public-webapps@w3.org
On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Dave Methvin <dave.methvin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Basically, either UAs that currently implement window.event remove it or
>> it's clearly required for web compat and hence needs to be specified so
>> other UAs can implement it.  I don't see any other sane options; do you?
>
> I'm okay with the first one. Is that a real option? I've never seen anything
> but old IE code intentionally use window.event, and it seems like the uses
> on SO could easily be from clueless people doing the copy-pasta on very old
> code.

If you can get it removed from WebKit or even just Chrome, it might
be. If that's not happening soon (e.g. indication of it happening
nowish, removal within a month or so), I think we're stuck with this
and we'll standardize and move on. Gecko needs at least one "look it
breaks in browser X too" leg to stand on, really.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/