Re: [webcomponents]: Making <link rel="components"> produce DocumentFragments

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 9:19 AM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I'd rather like it if the spec said "the component document is a document
>> that's always in standards mode and has no children" and then the contents
>> of the component were put into a DocumentFragment.
>>

> Should it bother us that depending on the implementation, one document
> could be shared among all component fragments or not?

That seems like an advantage to me. We can have the spec require unique
documents for now if people want, but using DocumentFragment at least lets
us decide to share in the future. Using a Document (or subclass) would
prevent us from ever making that optimization.

I think the simplicity argument is more important. Document has tons of
APIs on it that are not useful, DocumentFragment is much more focused.

- E