Re: [webcomponents]: First stab at the Web Components spec

From: Dominic Cooney <dominicc@google.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:45:52 +0900
To: Scott Miles <sjmiles@google.com>
Cc: Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>, Philip Walton <philip@philipwalton.com>, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>, Robert Ginda <rginda@chromium.org>, Steve Orvell <sorvell@google.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 8:39 AM, Scott Miles <sjmiles@google.com> wrote:

> My issue is that the target of this link will not in general be an atomic
> thing like a 'component' or a 'module'. It's a carrier for resources and
> links to other resources. IMO this is one of the great strengths of this
> proposal.

To go on the record: I like link rel="component" and calling these

Initially I was confused too; I have heard people casually refer to custom
elements as "components." But it makes sense to treat these are discrete

Components are the units of reuse. Although they're not "atomic" they
should ideally be a usable unit which references all of its dependencies.

Custom elements are the units of instantiation. One component may contain
be comprised of many custom elements.

Email SLA <http://goto.google.com/dc-email-sla> •