Re: [webcomponents]: Making Shadow DOM Subtrees Traversable

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 17:41:03 -0400
To: Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>
CC: Blake Kaplan <mrbkap@gmail.com>, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>, William Chen <wchen@mozilla.com>, Daniel Buchner <daniel@mozilla.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On 3/12/13 5:19 PM, Dimitri Glazkov wrote:
> However, to allow developers a degree of enforcing integrity of their
> shadow trees, we are going add a new mode, an equivalent of a "KEEP OUT"
> sign, if you will, which will makes a shadow tree non-traversable,
> effectively skipping over it in an element's shadow tree stack.

To be clear, what this mode does is turn off the simple way of getting
the shadow tree.  It does not promise that someone can't get at the
shadow tree via various non-obvious methods, because in practice such
promises are empty as long as script inside the component runs against
the web page global.

The question is how to name this.  "Hidden" seems to promise too much to
me.  Perhaps "obfuscated"?  "Veiled"?

-Boris

P.S.  Tempting as it is, "RedWithGreenPolkadots" is probably not an OK
name for this bikeshed.