Re: Web Storage's Normative References and PR / REC

On Fri, 2013-03-08 at 18:23 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2013, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
> >
> > The goal is to demonstrate that the materials referenced are stable and
> > any change to those references won't have an impact on the
> > recommendations.
>
> What do you mean by "stable"?

If a specification is using an external feature that has been around for
a while, without substantial changes to its name or definition and with
implementation, the likelihood that it will change is drastically lower.
As such, it is considered more stable than a feature with no
implementation or with a definition that changes every 6 months. So
anything that can help mitigate the risk with regards to change to other
specifications is helpful for the evaluation.

>  If we find something wrong with a REC, we
> still need to change it, since otherwise browsers are going to implement
> things that are wrong...

I agree, and we should look into adding tests as well.

Philippe