Re: File API for Review

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 15:28:51 +0200
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: Arun Ranganathan <aranganathan@mozilla.com>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
Additionally, I think http://www.w3.org/TR/FileAPI/#dfn-type should
clarify that the browser must not use statistical methods to guess the
charset parameter part of the type as part of "determining" the type.
Firefox currently asks magic 8-ball, but the magic 8-ball is broken.
AFAICT, WebKit does not guess, so I hope it's possible to remove the
guessing from Firefox.

(The guessing in Firefox relies on a big chunk of legacy code that's
broken and shows no signs of ever getting fixed properly. The File API
is currently the only thing in Firefox that exposes the mysterious
behavior of said legacy code to the Web using the default settings of
Firefox, so I'm hoping to remove the big chunk of legacy code instead
of fixing it properly.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi