Re: [webcomponents]: Making Shadow DOM Subtrees Traversable

On 7.3.2013 19:08, Scott González wrote:
> This just seems like a big rant.
may seem a bit harsh, but I'm trying to compress my point of view, it's
not like we can have hours long discussion about pros and cons. i mean
no harm :)

> Your questions about things like should scripts use closures are just
> derailing the conversation. I'm honestly not sure it's worth replying
> to any of your points. But to clarify some points I think are relevant:

You are right, because someone is trying to kill important (from my
point of view) technology: being able to actually create reusable UI
libraries. You may think we have those, we do not... Againg from my
experience from other languages... I have approx. 200 controls installed
in my Delphy from approx. 12 vendors. I can use them in any
combination... seamlessly, without caring how are those written (unless
pig wrote them). You cannot do that on Web, don't get me wrong I admire
jQuery, it's like the alphabet of JS programming. But regardless of how
clever people work on it, it's not self contained, it leaks.... where?
in DOM/CSS and it collides.

> It's not possible to expose potions of a DOM. So, if you want any
> customization at the DOM level, it's all or nothing. You can't expect
> to expose a JS API on top of a web component that is small and nice to
> work with and provide the flexibility of having control over the DOM.
> You can document that your web component provides some hierarchical
> structure and uses classes in a specific way. Then users can make
> modifications, for example, injecting additional markup, without
> breaking the structure or semantics of the existing web component. I'm
> not advocating for total anarchy.
But that is exactly my point. I do not want to expose the whole DOM and
then make programmer read tons of docs. about internals because they
leak. I cannot imagine to have app using 50 different controls/component
from 4 vendors and having to figure out how to make them not clash
If it's safe to modify DOM, I make it public. If it's not, than it is
not, then do not touch it.

> As for the <input type="date"> example: This isn't arbitrary 3rd party
> scripts coming and crippling your DOM in unexpected ways. This is you
> as the developer of the site saying the native experience is too
> limiting and then opting in to a different UI. This is also not
> global, change the world behavior, this is on a per-element basis.
well... if the 3rd party control is not fitting to your scenario, don't
use it, or rewrite it (if you have the permission). My JS example may
seem like distraction to you, but it's actually the same point here yet
again. If you find JS class that is almost there, you have 3 choices:
rewrite it, throw it away and find another or write your own.
Yes, you are the developer of the site, so you can choose what you
want/can use. It's not mandatory for you to use input[type="date"]
containing shadow. Pick another, write your own.

If it's wrong technology for you, do not use it. But why killing it
altogether for anyone? Because someone else wrote something you cannot
modify?

B.

--

s pozdravem