RE: Streams and Blobs

From: Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 07:07:24 +0000
To: Darin Fisher <darin@chromium.org>, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
CC: Aaron Colwell <acolwell@chromium.org>, Tillmann Karras <tillmann@selfnet.de>, "WEBAPPLICATIONS (WEBAPPS) WORKING GROUP" <public-webapps@w3.org>
Also, the Stream object lets you pipe the data from to/from Web Workers, which can be handy in certain scenarios.

From: darin@google.com [mailto:darin@google.com] On Behalf Of Darin Fisher

[snip]
Another thing not to lose sight of is that a Stream abstraction could be useful as an optimization tool.  There are times when a developer just needs to connect a data stream from a provider to a consumer and doesn't necessarily care about seeing the raw bytes.  (The data may not even be available in the address space of the process running the developer's script.)  So, I can imagine some optimization opportunities when we work with a handle to a stream of data rather than the data itself.

-Darin