Re: Streams and Blobs

From: Tillmann Karras <tillmann@selfnet.de>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 07:59:51 +0100
To: <public-webapps@w3.org>
On 2013-02-27 02:55, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> What are some actual use cases?  I don't think any have been
> mentioned on this thread.

- I would like to stream realtime TV. Pausing shouldn't be a problem
because I don't rely on POST requests and I would just buffer up to a
certain limit.
- Another use case that comes to mind is starting to watch a video file
before it is fully downloaded.
- Another one would be downloading only the beginning of a file, e.g.
for file type identification / thumbnails/ MP3 tags and so on. (How much
data is needed is probably not known up front and just using increasing
Range headers would require multiple round trips.)
- Jonas mentioned incremental rendering of large Word or PDF documents.

--
Tillmann Karras