[editing] Block extending algorithm

From: Shezan Baig <shezbaig.wk@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 17:01:07 -0500
To: public-webapps@w3.org
Hi folks,

Currently, the block extending algorithm [1] normally treats <br> as a
block delimiter, but if the <br> is inside an <li>, then it is not
treated as a block delimiter.  This seems like a somewhat arbitrary
decision.

I've noticed that different applications extend blocks differently,
regardless of whether the <br> is inside an <li> or not.  WebKit
currently always treats <br> as a block (paragraph) delimiter, but MS
Word does *not* treat newlines (Shift+Enter) as block delimiters when
performing block commands.

I'm wondering if this can be made into a setting instead of
hard-coding a specific behavior into the spec.  I think the web
application (and not the browser) would know better which behavior is
more suitable for its use-case.  I'm not sure how it would be exposed,
perhaps a document-wide flag like how "useCss" works?  Any thoughts on
this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shezan

[1] https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/editing/raw-file/tip/editing.html#block-extending-a-range