Re: Beacon API

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 12:34:28 +0000
To: "Reitbauer, Alois" <Alois.Reitbauer@compuware.com>
Cc: Jatinder Mann <jmann@microsoft.com>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Reitbauer, Alois
<Alois.Reitbauer@compuware.com> wrote:
> I do not see how this relates to the ping. If I understand the Ping
> correctly it send back the ping when a ling was clicked. The scenario here
> is totally different. An analytics tool - whether RUM or other analytics -
> collects a set of data like timing values etc. and then wants to beacon
> this data back to the server for further processing. I am not sure how to
> achieve this using the ping attribute.

Sure, you can achieve even more with an API as you propose, but the
idea is the same. The user navigates and the user agent is responsible
to do some phone-home thingie. My point is that ping="" failed thus
far, even though it's simpler conceptually.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/