Re: Beacon API

I think CORS might still be needed as the data is not necessarily posted to the origin server. The name unloadRequest might be a bit misleading as this functionality might be used in a non unload situation as well. I also agree on the script-only capability.

// Alois

From: Dave Methvin <dave.methvin@gmail.com<mailto:dave.methvin@gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:18 PM
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com<mailto:jackalmage@gmail.com>>
Cc: Jatinder Mann <jmann@microsoft.com<mailto:jmann@microsoft.com>>, "annevk@opera.com<mailto:annevk@opera.com>" <annevk@opera.com<mailto:annevk@opera.com>>, "public-webapps@w3.org<mailto:public-webapps@w3.org>" <public-webapps@w3.org<mailto:public-webapps@w3.org>>, Alois Reitbauer <alois.reitbauer@compuware.com<mailto:alois.reitbauer@compuware.com>>
Subject: Re: Beacon API

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Tab Atkins Jr.
I started a thread last year in WHATWG about this subject, though from
a slightly different angle:
<http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2012-May/035686.html>.

A new simple API sounds like the best solution. Adding a sufficiently limited beacon into XHR would seem to involve a lot of special cases, since you don't want the response, callbacks, CORS, etc. but the requests themselves would need to stay around after the page is done.

It might be handy to have a method property to specify get/post and I'd prefer a name like unloadRequest since it's making a request and not setting a handler. Finally, is script-only capability sufficient or does it make sense to also have some form of markup specifying a link to be visited when the page unloads? </bikeshed>

The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it. Compuware Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a company registered in Vienna whose registered office is at 1120 Wien, Austria, Am Euro Platz 2 / Geb?ude G.