Re: Allow ... centralized dialog up front

Something is better than nothing, and both the iPhone and Android systems
are better than not asking the user at all. The principle of security in
depth is that you don't rely on a single security feature that may be
flawed, but have a multi layered approach to security.

I think that giving a user control of what information is released is a
necessary part of that model, and I cannot see anything in the documents
you link to that contradicts that. Are you suggesting that users should be
denied control of their information? What about information in sensitive
environments (politicians, security workers etc) who understand privacy are
suggesting we deny then the ability to control the access?

For me personally, being able to see all the information an application
will access and be able to return to this information and edit my
preferences at any time seems the best way to do this. Visibility is key -
you must be able to see what permissions have been granted so they can be
revoked, or just to reassure that certain permissions are denied. Others
may have different ideas, however nearly all on-line services are moving to
this model so it must offer some benefits. This model is also essential in
any kind of enterprise setting where the IT department will want to audit
and approve apps for use.

Cheers,
Keean.