Re: Allow ... centralized dialog up front

On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 15:29:16 +0100, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:

> Repetitive permission dialog popups at random UI-flows will not solve
> the permission fatique any more than a centralized one does. However a
> centralized >permission dialog will solve the following things fairly
> effectively:
>
> - repeated popup fatique

Sure. And that is valuable in principle.

> - extension of trust towards a site regardless of what they ask for (do
> I trust that Indie game developer? Yes! Do I trust google? No! or vice
> versa)

I don't think so. As Adrienne said, as I have experienced myself, without
understanding what the permission is for trust can be reduced as easily as
increased.

> - make it easy for developers not to add UI-flows into their application
> leading to things the user didn't want to give (Do we want a menu entry
> "save to local >storage" if the user checked off the box to allow local
> storage? I think not.)

> - make it easy for developers to not waste users time by pretending to
> have a working application, which requires things the user didn't want
> to give. (Do we really >want to offer our geolocated, web-camera using
> chat app to users who didn't want to give permission to to either? I
> think not. Do we want to make him find that out >after he's been
> entering our UI-flow and been pressing buttons 5 minutes later? I think
> not.)
These are not so clear. As a user, I *do* want to have applications to
which I will give, and revoke, at my discretion, certain rights. Twitter
leaps to mind as something that wants access to geolocation, something I
occasionally grant. for specific requests but blanket refuse in general.
The hypothetical example you offer is something that in general it seems
people are happy to offer to a user who has turned off both capabilities.

I think the ability for a page to declare permission requests in a
standard way, the same as applications and extensions, is worth pursuing,
because there are now a number of vendors using stuff that seems to only
differ by syntax.

The user agent presentation is a more complex question. I believe there is
more research done and being done than you seem to credit, and as Hallvord
said, I think this is an area where users evolve too.

For the reasons outlined already in the thread I don't think an
Android-style "here are all the requests" is as good a solution in
practice as it seems, and there is a need for continued research as well
as implementations we can test.

cheers

Chaals