Re: Proposal: moving tests to GitHub

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 07:23:36 -0500
To: ext Tobie Langel <tobie@fb.com>
CC: ext Odin HÝrthe Omdal <odinho@opera.com>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>
On 2/1/13 2:04 AM, ext Tobie Langel wrote:
> On 1/31/13 9:13 AM, "Arthur Barstow" <art.barstow@nokia.com> wrote:
>
>> As I said during one of the testing breakouts in Lyon, ultimately I
>> suspect the saying "beggars can't be choosy" will trump. However, AFAIK,
>> currently, only one of WebApps' thirty active specs actually has an
>> "outside" contribution. As such, and without any information about a
>> relatively high probability we will get contributions from others, this
>> move still seems like a lot of "make work".
> Ultimately, that's a chicken and egg problem. Moving to GitHub doesn't
> guarantee external contributions (there are aspects beyond using Git(Hub)
> to involve and retain outside contributors), but the current solution
> clearly prevents those.

One of things I wondering about is - after you leave your Fellow
position [BTW, that's totally wicked so congrats on that!], and Robin
has moved on to `greener pastures` and Odin has moved on to be CEO of
Opera - if/when there are problems with GH, who are we gonna' call? Hg,
despite its shortcomings, is backed by the W3C's crack SysTeam. Do we
get an equivalent service from GH?

> If crowd-sourcing is part of our strategy to get more tests, (and the
> testing meeting we had this week seems to imply it is), then moving to
> GitHub is a requirement.

Yes, those are good points and I'm wondering if there really needs to be
a binary choice here or if there could be advantages to using both. For
example, set up a skeleton structure on GH and if/when tests are
submitted, the Test Facilitator could review them and copy the `good
ones` to Hg.

-AB