Re: Re: Allow ... centralized dialog up front

From: Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen <hallvord@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 11:48:33 +0100
To: Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com>, "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: "Webapps WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would propose to centralize this and make it an up-front dialog remembered
> > for a site such that:
> That kind of bulk approach does not work. Users don't understand

> what's going on.

To what extent are we sure users understand a prompt about for example web storage?

> (This has been discussed in the past too, I suggest
> you read the archives of this list, public-web-notifications maybe,
> and probably public-device-apis.)

It certainly has been discussed but not really resolved - also, UI paradigms and usability research evolve, so I guess it's natural to revisit this discussion now and then. It does of course lie somewhat outside of the scope of most W3C work, given that it is about a specific aspect of browser UI, which might be one of the reasons why it's so hard to find good solutions.

Hallvord R. M. Steen
Core tester, Opera Software