Re: [IndexedDB] request feedback on IDBKeyRange.inList([]) enhancement

On May 21, 2013, at 10:05 AM, Ben Kelly <bkelly@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On May 20, 2013, at 3:18 PM, Joshua Bell <jsbell@google.com> wrote:
>> Cool. Knowing what performance difference you see between multi-get and just a bunch of gets in parallel (for time to delivery of the last value) will be interesting. A multi-get of any sort should avoid a bunch of messaging overhead and excursions into script to deliver individual values, so it will almost certainly be faster, but I wonder how significantly the duration from first-get to last-success will differ.
>
> Here are some rough wall-clock numbers for previous testing I've done.  In all cases we are loading 1000 nsIDOMContact objects in batches.  Time is essentially wall-clock to load the entire 1000 values in the data set.
>
>  - 20 get() calls per txn:				~2000ms
>  - 1000 get() calls in single txn: 		~1600ms
>  - getAll + inList for 20 keys per txn:		~1500ms
>  - getAll + inList for 64 keys per txn:		~1050ms
>  - getAll + inList for 256 keys per txn:	~950ms
>  - getAll for all 1000 keys:				~1200ms
>
> I've hesitated to post these because they are somewhat specific to my workload, test case, and device.  I'll try to pull out a more isolated test case while I work on the optimization for parallel get() calls.

I finally got some time to break out an isolated test case:

  http://blog.wanderview.com/idb-inlist-test/

Results for firefox nightly+inList() patch on my MBPr quad core:

  cursor:	329ms
  get:	88ms
  getAll:	71ms
  inList:	44ms

Code for each test case can be found here:

  https://github.com/wanderview/idb-inlist-test/tree/gh-pages/scripts/tests

I'm still new to the IDB API, so there is a good chance I made a mistake somewhere in the tests.  Pull requests or other feedback welcome.

Thanks!

Ben