Re: [XHR] anonymous flag

Hi Anne,

<chair hat on>
Please stick to the technical discussion without making assertions about
people's motives or actions for which you don't have concrete evidence.
<chair hat off>

On Fri, 17 May 2013 13:53:08 +0400, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
wrote:

> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 10:35 PM, Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen
> <hallvord@opera.com> wrote:
>> Anonymous mode still seems like useless complexity to me, so I'm still
>> in favour of dropping it.
>
> Right. I don't really get the feeling you're considering the arguments
> carefully and since nobody else seems to be participating here (much
> like before) I'm not sure this is a good use of our time.

Silence is not very useful as evidence nobody cares, since it may also
mean everybody agrees (but then, it isn't strong evidence that everybody
agrees for similar reasons).

Since Hallvord's argument made sense and was in an active discussion it
seemed unnecessary to repeat it or "me too" it, but in the interest of
clarity:

The OpenID scenario seems to match common real scenarios, and therefore
the risk Hallvord identifies seems worth being careful about.

With respect to your use case for keeping anonymous I agree with Hallvord.
I cannot think of a real use case for a browser-like thing that accepts
arbitrary URLs. Could you please provide some more explanation of the real
scenarios for this use case?

cheers

Chaals