Re: webcomponents: <import> instead of <link>

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 10:21 AM, John J Barton
<johnjbarton@johnjbarton.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 8:04 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>>
>> Apparently I wasn't clear enough before.
>>
>> We shouldn't add dynamically updating imports of components just
>> because we're choosing to reuse <link>. We add dynamic imports if
>> there are use cases.
>>
>> So far no-one has presented any use cases.
>

> Sorry if this is out-of-context, but as far as I can tell you are proposing
> that demand-loading of Web components for Web apps is not a valid use-case
> for components.

That's not what I'm proposing. What I'm saying is that unloading of a
component document is not a use case. I.e. using <link> to point to
URL A and wait for it to load the components in A. Then change the
<link> to point to URL B and have it unload the components from A and
instead load the components in B.

This is how stylesheets work if you dynamically modify a <link> from
pointing at A to pointing at B.

I definitely agree there are use cases for at some point after a
document has finished loading, loading components from url A, and
again at a yet later point loading components from URL B.

/ Jonas