Re: [dom-futures] Making ProgressFuture use real events

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:14:17 -0700
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sure they do, they allow future extensibility. If we had used Futures for
>> everything from the start the world would be quite different since we
>> couldn't add any new information to the notifications.
>
> I can't think of many APIs we extended in this fashion over the years
> I have to say. The MessageEvent interfaces comes to mind, but that
> already had more than one member from the start.

Additionally, while DOM Events automatically let you extend the
"return value" freely, other ways of accessing data, like simple IDL
attributes, do not - you have to either plan ahead for extension, or
deal with the extension in some other way, like a new attribute.
Futures fall into the same boat.

~TJ