Re: FileSystem compromise spec

On 11/15/12 7:39 PM, ext Eric U wrote:
> As discussed at TPAC, there's little support for the current FileSystem API, but
> some support for a new API, and I promised to put forth a compromise proposal.
> In order to do that, I'd like to hear 1) what kinds of changes would make it
> more popular; 2) who I'm trying to convince.  There are a number of folks who
> have said that they're not interested in a FileSystem API at all, so I'd rather
> concentrate my efforts on those with skin in the game.
>
> So far I've been hearing:
>
>    * It's too complicated.  A number of the methods aren't absolutely necessary
>      if the user's willing to do a bit more work, so they should be dropped.
>    * Even for what functionality we keep, it could be simpler.
>    * The synchronous [worker-only] interface is superfluous.  It's not necessary
>      for 1.0, and it's a lot of extra implementation work.
>    * It's designed to handle both the sandbox and the
>      outside-the-sandbox use cases.  For folks interested in just the sandbox and
>      no future expansions, that seems like wasted effort, and a sandbox-only API
>      could be simpler.  It's not clear to me that there is anyone interested in
>      just the sandbox and no future expansions, but if there is, please speak up.
>      I've certainly heard from folks with the opposite goal.
>
> Does that sum it up?

That is a helpful summary so thanks for that.

Another at least somewhat related topic is the relationship between
WebApps' File* specs and the file specs in scope for SysApps and Adam
did a good job of clarifying that in
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2012OctDec/0335.html>.

It seems like it would be useful to look at these various file and
database specs from a high level use case perspective (f.ex. "one way to
address UC X is to use spec X"). If anyone is aware of some related
docs, please let me know. Doug - wondering aloud here if this is
something webplatform.org might cover or if you know of someone that
might be interested in creating this type of documentation?

-Thanks, AB