Re: Feedback and questions on shadow DOM and web components

I was having an exchange with a gentleman named Tom Ashworth that made it's
way off list.

What he had said to me in a previous message about @host:

"@host { } is weird. As far as I can tell, nothing inside it will be
applied unless the matched element is the shadow host. The spec says 'must
only be matched against the shadow host of the shadow DOM subtree in which
the style is specified', and this seems to be how things act in Chrome:
changing your example to @host { ul { background: red; } } works,
presumably because it matches the host. I've tried using a class, id and
even a crazy attribute selector (*[is="news"]) and they all work, but no
other rules do."