Making offline apps easier?

From: Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:11:11 +0100
To: "public-webapps WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>
Hi folks

We have a handful of things that could be on our plate here.

1. Appcache.
Yeah, we know. But if nobody makes a proposal, nothing will get better.
(There is also a "fixing-appcache" community group taht might come here
with proposals).
2. Offline apps breakout at TPAC
http://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC2012/Offline_Apps Ashok Malhotra (Oracle, who
aren't webapps members), ran a session. Where we agreed to divide the
thoughts into "the app shell" and "the app data" - either of which could
be brought from offline, or online, independently. Plus I made a half-page
note about different ways of having apps offline
3. File APIs.
The plain File reader seems almost done. Still. There are apparently
people interested in a File System (Opera implemented one for Opera Unite,
Chrome and Yandex have one, and there are discussions about making a
simpler one).
4. Databases
IndexedDB seems to be getting traction across all platforms. Unlike at the
face to face, when literally nobody spoke in favour of WebSQL, there are
people who think it is worthwhile. At the same time Ashok has been hinting
at using something more seriously SQL to help with issues like synch
(which always seems like it won't be that hard, but never actually works
entirely properly after all).
5. Widgets and packaged apps
There is the "official" widget stack. At the face to face the only people
who spoke up in favour of keeping this alive and connected to other app
systems were Zynga. There is the Mozilla proposal for apps packaged with a
JSON manifest, and Yandex has the same functionality but probably slightly
different syntax for the JS. And there may be others...

cheers

Chaals