Re: Pre-fetch rough draft

From: Sergey Nikitin <nop@yandex-team.ru>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 20:31:56 +0400
Cc: Michael Nordman <michaeln@google.com>, Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr>, public-webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, chaals@myopera.com
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

On 06.11.2012, at 12:49, Julian Reschke wrote:

>>> There's already the "prefetch" link relation that you could use.
>>>

>> You need at least two pages to start prefetching.
>
> Why two?
>
>> And you can't prefetch anything for the first page.
>
> Yes, you can. Just use the first page's metadata instead of a separate prefetch manifest,

I mean If you already downloaded a page you don't need any metadata. You can parse it and extract all urls from script/style tags (Ok. Except for a dynamically inserted ones).

>> If you have single page application you can't prefetch.
>
> Why?
>
>> And it's not always possible for browser to visit a page (cookie/password protected).
>
> It's always possible to "visit" the page; it just needs to return the relevant header fields.

Maybe you never visited the page or your cookies are expired (or you logged out).

And visiting any page (with all cookies/other headers) is irreversible action. It affects statistics, it could do something without your knowledge (marking message as read in your webmail?). Yes I know about special header browser should send to a server, but I've never heard about any site supporting it.

Also generating a whole page just for metadata in it is a waste of server's CPU time.

--
Sergey Nikitin