RE: [Clipboard API] The before* events

You are right, that it doesn't solve the "disabling the option in the browser chrome" case-but is that really necessary? Why would a site want to do this?

The only reason I can imagine is the old "we want to prevent the casual user from copying this image because it is copyrighted" scenario. In the cut/paste interaction, there are other ways to handle this such as making the control read-only, or stoping the action at the keyboard event level.

IE10 (and other UAs) have another solution-allow more fine-grained control over the management of selection (css property<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/hh781492(v=vs.85).aspx>, and example usage<http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/HTML5/msUserSelect/>). I can imagine a similar model for specific control over cut/copy/paste from certain parts of the page if this is a hard requirement. The CSS property means that the developer's request can be honored by the user agent without script getting in the way of (and possibly delaying) the action.

From: ojan@google.com [mailto:ojan@google.com] On Behalf Of Ojan Vafai
Sent: Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:38 PM
To: Travis Leithead
Cc: Hallvord R. M. Steen; WebApps WG; Ryosuke Niwa; Aryeh Gregor; Daniel Cheng; Bjoern Hoehrmann; Sebastian Markbåge
Subject: Re: [Clipboard API] The before* events

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 4:02 AM, Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com<mailto:travis.leithead@microsoft.com>> wrote:
>I'm looking at the beforecut, beforecopy and beforepaste events. I don't entirely understand their intent, it seems even more obscure than I expected..

I'm not sure that the use case that these events were originally designed for (which have been obscured by time), are at all relevant to site content any more. The use case of hiding the cut/copy/paste menu options, can be fulfilled by replacing the contextmenu with some custom one if desired.

You don't want to disable the other items in the context menu though. This also doesn't solve disabling cut/copy/paste in non-context menus, e.g. Chrome has these in the Chrome menu.