Re: [webcomponents] More backward-compatible templates

On 30.10.12 21:56, "Yehuda Katz" <yehuda.katz@jquery.com> wrote:

>Script template:
><script type=template>
>    <script> something();<\/script>
>    <script type=template>
>    <\/script>
></script>
>

>I really don't like this. The escaped backslash is an eyesore and
>error-prone. Hijacking an existing tag with extremely crufty semantics
>with yet more semantics doesn't pay for itself at all, especially when
>you consider the strange closing script tag.

+1. I am not in favor of the escaped syntax, but would like to keep the
<template> syntax, with both "src" and inlining (although inlining should
be the default, out of performance reasons). Its look & feel is very hacky
(and I have written countless hacky polyfills), and not like a clean new
slate for template authors.

>Pros:
>- Similar to the way many JS-implemented templating sches work today
>

>I think this is actually a negative. It looks like what people are doing
>today, but a seemingly arbitrary type triggers completely new behavior.
>As a (popular) template engine author, I would prefer a clean-slate tag
>(<template>) to trying to cram more semantics into the existing <script>
>tag with new gotchas.

+1.