Re: Pre-fetch rough draft

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 10:52:26 +0100
To: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@myopera.com>
CC: public-webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On 2012-10-30 10:22, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I mentioned this and it's somethign we are working on.
>
> Basic idea: site provides list of resources that it uses and can be
> cached for general improvements on the whole site. (We're seeing
> load-time improvement from 50% - 300% in our testing. We are using it on
> sites - mail.yandex.ru/prefetch.txt has an example).
>
> The draft "spec" here is still very rough, but it shows what we've
> implemented and some of what we think it is good for.
>
> This is meant as input to the appcache/packaging/etc discussion, and may
> or may not be something this group takes on.
>
> cheers

I'm not a caching expert, but adding yet another mechanism (in addition
to HTTP caching and the HTML stuff) should be done with a lot of care.

Nits: *if* you want to add yet another manifest file, please consider
respecting <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5785>.

Also: I would try to remove hacks / special cases. If there's a need to
declare resources that should be fetched without cookies, then we should
have a generic mechanism for that, not something special-cased for a
specific URI.

Best regards, Julian