From: rginda@google.com [mailto:rginda@google.com] On Behalf Of Robert Ginda
Sent: Wednesday, 10 October 2012 9:19 AM
To: Boris Zbarsky
Cc: Alec Flett; public-webapps
Subject: Re: IndexedDB: undefined parameters

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu<mailto:bzbarsky@mit.edu>> wrote:
On 10/9/12 6:04 PM, Robert Ginda wrote:
But I never, ever use the symbol-known-as
"undefined" in script, since it's actually a write-able variable.

For what it's worth, it's not anymore.  It used to be, but current ES makes it a readonly non-configurable property of the global.  Not sure to what extent UAs have caught up with the spec on that.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that.  I'd still avoid using undefined values to mean "I intentionally don't want to provide a value".  Null is more trustworthy for that, because it's not going to show up "on accident".  In my own private coding guidelines in my head, I only *test* for undefined.  It only appears as an rvalue in very rare cases, and when it does it appears as "(void 0)".

Of course in cases like this:

  function foo(undefined) {
    // Code using "undefined" here loses
  }

you still have a problem....

I'd suggest also treating null as missing if possible.

In general, or for the specific IDB case?

Well my own personal opinion would be in general, but I don't know what kind of repercussions that would have on other specifications and implementations.

Rob.

-Boris