Re: [IndexedDB] blocked event could be an error

From: David Grogan <dgrogan@chromium.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 11:25:39 -0700
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: Joćo Eiras <joaoe@opera.com>, public-webapps@w3.org
On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> >> Like I said, I think it's too late to make such a big change. I
> >> believe it's much too late to make such a change in IE10, and we have
> >> been shipping Firefox with the current behavior for quite a while now
> >> (and are about to unprefix with our current behavior).
> >>
> >> / Jonas
> >

> > Sorry but it is not late. It's actually quite early and the right time.
> I don't know by what measure it's "quite early" or "the right time".

It'd be the right time because though IDB usage is picking up, it's still
relatively low. Optimally this change would have been made a few months or
years ago, but now is better than later.

We've passed Last Call, there are 3 shipping implementations, all of
> which have considered their implementation complete enough to switch
> from prefixed implementations to unprefixed ones. They all implement
> the behavior that you are proposing to change.

We'd be ok with changing this, our unprefixedness notwithstanding. I think
the pain it would save developers down the road would make up for the
immediate pain it would cause to both vendors and developers. But that's
just a judgment call, I'm relying on intuition and obviously have no data
about what the future will hold.

To balance the concerns of open with complicated semantics and
backward-compatibility, I propose that we add two methods to IDBFactory:
openOrFail and openOrBlock.  Most introductory IDB tutorials and examples
would steer developers towards openOrFail.  The current open method would
be an alias for openOrBlock.  That open's documentation would be
"[deprecated] alias for openOrBlock" should give developers some pause
about using it just because it has the simplest name.

At least the Amazon cloud reader uses IndexedDB. I've started