Re: Moving File API: Directories and System API to Note track?

For the use cases of media storage for offline use perhaps (an important use case), but there are broader use cases necessary for the growth of Webapps which need to manage their own arbitrary storage resources outside the browser-managed space. Until this is supported, the web will remain a thin UI layer that cannot compete with native applications.

Thanks,
Bryan Sullivan

On Sep 18, 2012, at 6:12 PM, "Robin Berjon" <robin@w3.org> wrote:

On 18/09/2012 13:04 , Olli Pettay wrote:
> I think we should discuss about moving File API: Directories and
> System API from Recommendation track to Note. Mainly because the API
> hasn't been widely accepted nor implemented and also because there
> are other proposals which handle the same use cases. The problem with
> keeping the API in recommendation track is that people outside
> standardization world think that the API is the one which all the
> browsers will implement and as of now that doesn't seem likely.

I wonder if a good case couldn't be made to move it to the upcoming SysApps WG (http://www.w3.org/2012/05/sysapps-wg-charter.html)?

It's very late to sneak anything into the charter, but I reckon it could fall under their Media Storage API deliverable.