Re: [XHR] Event processing during synchronous request

From: Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 22:12:44 +0200
To: Mike Wilson <mikewse@hotmail.com>
CC: public-webapps@w3.org
On 09/09/2012 06:33 PM, Mike Wilson wrote:
> Is it defined how the browser should behave wrt calling
> unrelated event handlers in user code during synchronous
> XHR requests? (with "unrelated" I refer to events that are
> not related to the ongoing synchronous request itself)
>
> I didn't find statements directly addressing this in
> http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest/
> or
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/fetching-resourc
> es.html
> but maybe there are indirect relationships between
> specification sections that I am missing?
> Or maybe it's deliberately undefined?
>
> I ask because Firefox behaves differently to the other
> popular browsers, in that it triggers event handlers for
> other asynchronous XHR requests while blocking for a
> synchronous XHR request.
That is a well-known bug in Gecko (other engines have or have had different kinds of bug
related to sync XHR, like locks etc).
But since synchronous XHR in UI-thread is by all means
effectively deprecated and very bad for the ux, I wouldn't
expect the bug in Gecko to be fixed any time soon (at least not by me :) ).

-Olli