Re: Proposal for "Cascading Attribute Sheets" - like CSS, but for attributes!

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 09:22:21 -0700
To: Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>
Cc: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 9:11 AM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com> wrote:
> Yes, but... One of the problems with the "is" attribute is that it's
> magic: only the parser reacts to it, and changing it does not do
> anything. I was hoping for some special notation that clearly made it
> not an attribute, so that at least the magic is confined to CAS, and
> does not extend to weird attribute behavior.

If it's getting applied by CAS, it does so in a microtask after it was
added to the DOM.  If anything *can* influence the identity of the
element at that point, it might as well be an attribute - making it
special doesn't gain us anything.

(Anyway, could we move this discussion to a separate thread?  It's
more about "how do we trigger custom elements" than about CAS.)

~TJ