Re: Proposal for "Cascading Attribute Sheets" - like CSS, but for attributes!

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 14:38:28 -0700
To: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
Cc: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org> wrote:
> On a somewhat unrelated note, could we somehow also incorporate jquery style
> live event handlers here? See previous www-dom discussion about this: . I
> suppose we'd still just want listen/unlisten(selector, handler) methods, but
> they'd get applied at the same time as cascaded attributes. Although, we
> might want to apply those on attribute changes as well.

Using CAS to apply an "onfoo" attribute is nearly the same (use a
string value to pass the function, obviously).  It'll only allow a
single listener to be applied, though.

If it's considered worthwhile, we can magic up this case a bit.  CAS
properties don't accept functions normally (or rather, as I have it
defined in the OP, it would just accept a FUNCTION token, which is
just the function name and opening paren, but I should tighten up that
definition).  We could have a magic function like listen(<string>)
that, when used on an onfoo attribute (more generally, on a
host-language-defined "event listener" attribute) does an
addEventListener() call rather than a setAttribute() call.

~TJ