Re: [admin] using Bugzilla's "component tracking feature"? [Was: [webcomponents]-ish: Visibility of work in Bugzilla

From: Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 06:05:52 +0900
To: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Cc: ext Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>, "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kanghaol@oupeng.com>, WebApps Working Group <public-webapps@w3.org>
Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>, 2012-08-20 08:11 -0400:

> On 8/16/12 1:29 PM, ext Dimitri Glazkov wrote:
> >That's a great point. It's already tracking all of the Web Components
> >work (it looks like I am by far the spammiest -- not the best of
> >honors, but I'll take it). Perhaps we could just encourage people to
> >listen to that?
> >
> >:DG<
> >
> >On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu
> ><kanghaol@oupeng.com> wrote:
> >>We have public-webapps-bugzilla[1] already, but I have no idea why we
> >>can't just turn on the component watching feature at the W3C Bugzilla
> >>instance.
>
> I agree following public-webapps-bugzilla is a bit like a `fire hose` so
> turning on component-level watching would be useful.
>
> Mike - can Bugzilla's "component watching feature" be turned on (for at
> least WebApps' components)?

What "component watching feature"? I'm not aware of any such feature and I
don't find any config parameters in our bugzilla instance that would seem
to be related to such a feature.

Note that we are running version 3.6.2 of bugzilla, with was released two
years ago. I believe we run that because it's the latest release available
for Debian stable (or maybe for Debian anything) and so that's been tested
by Debian and gone through security review and that gets any needed
security patches and all that. So if this component-watching feature is
something that's recent -- added after 3.6.2 -- then that would be why we
don't have it.

  --Mike