Re: Web Components Suggestion

From: Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:12:13 +0900
To: Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com>
Cc: Dave Geddes <davidcgeddes@gmail.com>, public-webapps@w3.org
Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com>, 2012-08-12 12:36 +0200:

> It's my understanding that if you want to define a strict parser using a
> DTD that describes the markup, it's impossible to introduce arbitrary tage
> names (as in there are not tag wildcards in a DTD). A document that used
> arbitrary tags could not be validated.

There is no conceivable conformance checker that's going to allow the use
of completely arbitrary tag names. It doesn't matter what formalism it uses.
To allow custom tag names and still be able to check the conformance of
normal tag names, the only possibility is to limit the custom tag names to
some recognized prefix -- e.g., x-fancyButton or whatever.

  --Mike